15 Quick and Fascinating Facts About Propane

Propane is one of the most versatile, cost-effective, and environmentally friendly fuel sources in the world.

Propane is an interesting fuel that emerged early in the 20th Century as an alternative fuel source that could be stored easily. In 1911, Dr. Snelling discovered a way to bottle evaporated gases and by the following year, propane was used for heating homes, cooling, providing light and cutting metal. Today, propane is used in more than 48 million households for water and space heating, indoor and outdoor cooking, clothes drying, and backup power!

Check out these fascinating facts about propane:

  1. Propane is one of the lightest, simplest hydrocarbons in existence, and, as a result, is one of the cleanest burning of all fossil fuels!
  2. Propane is one of the cleanest, lightest, simplest hydrocarbons in the universe. So clean, in fact, that propane is not considered a greenhouse gas.
  3. Liquid propane boils (from liquid to vapor) at -44F (-42.2C).
  4. At one and a half times the weight of air, propane will settle in low areas.
  5. In a liquid form, propane is half the weight of water.
  6. Propane gas does not spill, pool, or leave a residue; this makes it harmless to soil or water if a tank leaks.
  7. Nearly 90 percent of the U.S. propane supply is produced domestically; almost three-quarters of the remaining 10 percent are produced in Canada or Mexico.
  8. Complete combustion of propane produces clean water vapor and carbon dioxide.
  9. Propane is a three-carbon alkane – its molecular formula is C3H8.
  10. About 23.5 cubic feet of air is required to burn one cubic foot of propane.
  11. Propane is an odorless gas to which an odorant has been added to detect leaks.
  12. Propane clothes dryers dry more quickly and with less static created than electric units, saving you time and money and reducing wear and tear on your wardrobe.
  13. Propane is an economical choice. Compared to other forms of energy, propane is a great value. Many modern propane appliances achieve efficiency ratings of 95% or higher. Although some propane is produced from crude oil refinement, most domestically produced propane is a byproduct of domestic natural gas processing. In fact, current U.S. propane supplies are abundant due in large part to the increase in natural gas production.
  14. Propane tankless water heaters can achieve even greater efficiency – up to 98 percent.
  15. Propane will not ignite when combined with air unless the source of ignition reaches 920 degrees F.

If you’re looking for a trusted propane supplier, or you just want to learn more about propane and its uses, visit contact your local office to speak to a ThompsonGas Representative today.


More to explore