Residential Propane Safety
When it comes to safety, ThompsonGas believes education is the best form of prevention.
Although the risk of a propane leak is extremely low, here you will find some helpful safety tips to ensure your family and home is protected.
- Although propane in it’s natural state is nearly odorless, a scent is incorporated in order for customers to identify a propane leak. This odor has been described as being very similar to rotten eggs. During your initial propane delivery, our driver provided you with a welcome kit, including a “scratch & sniff” card featuring this specific scent. If you require an additional card or welcome kit, please contact us.
- In the event that you suspect a leak, immediately extinguish all flames and smoking materials. Turn off all appliances, telephones, cell phones and lights as any spark can result in an explosion or fire.
- Immediately evacuate the home.
- Turn the main gas supply off on your propane tank by turning it clockwise.
- From a safe distance or neighboring home, call 911, your local fire department, then ThompsonGas to report the leak. Do not return to your home until the responding authorities or a qualified ThompsonGas representative determines that it is safe to do so. We will have a professional technician perform a thorough system check to ensure the suspected leak has been addressed.
Learn More About Residential Propane Appliances:
Today's the Day
Joining the ThompsonGas family is easier than you think!