Each year, the U.S. Department of Energy designates October as National Awareness Month. During this time, public agencies, utilities and other organizations shine a light on the importance of conserving energy. From replacing your home’s old lighting fixtures to updating dated appliance to new ENERGY STAR certified models, a number of energy-efficient alternatives exist that will not only increase your family’s comfort but will save energy and money.
At ThompsonGas, we’re 100% committed to promoting energy-efficient options right now in order to lead to a cleaner, greener tomorrow. One of the best ways we promote energy efficiency is through our propane services. With National Energy Awareness Month in full swing, there’s never been a better time to consider switching to propane.
Propane is a nontoxic, colorless, odorless and clean fuel. Neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants. Burning a pound of propane gas releases less than half the amount of carbon dioxide than burning a pound of coal for electricity. Here’s why propane gas service is the better energy choice for your home and business.
- Propane appliances are 10-15% more efficient than oil and electric.
- Propane savings, on average, range up to $1.4 per gallon compared to oil and electric prices.
- Propane tankless water heaters provide hot water on demand and save families 10-20% of their daily water use. Imagine the savings over the course of a year!
- Propane furnaces can reach efficiency levels over 95%, while peak efficiency for an oil furnace is 80-85%. They have operating lives of 15-20 years — 10 years longer than electric heat pumps.
- Wood-burning fireplaces can lose as much as 90% of the heat they generate, while home propane fireplaces (and log sets) are up to 100% efficient.
- Propane is the efficient choice for cooking, outdoor heating and lighting, fireplaces, hot water, back-up generators and more for restaurants, hotels and other hospitality businesses.
- Propane is the clear choice for farmers and agriculture. Propane irrigation engines are 20-30% more efficient than older models. Farmers can also earn $2,500 toward the purchase of a new propane-fueled irrigation engine or lawn mower through the Propane FEED program.
- Propane for forklifts produce 19% fewer emissions than gasoline forklifts and 7% fewer emissions than diesel. They maintain consistent, 100% power throughout operation, with faster ground speeds than electric forklifts.
- For builders, propane is a smart choice for reducing homeowners’ energy costs. A propane home provides builders a competitive edge by offering their clients additional features like outdoor lighting and grills that run easily, efficiently and cost-effectively on propane.
- Propane reduces fleet maintenance costs and increases engine life.
- Compared to gasoline, propane emits 12% less carbon dioxide, 20% less nitrous oxide and up to 60% less carbon monoxide.
- More than 5 million gallons of diesel and gasoline are spilled or stolen each year. This is not possible with propane.
To learn more about the energy-efficient savings of propane service, click here or call ThompsonGas today at 800-768-6612.