Each year, the U.S. Department of Energy designates October as National Awareness Month. During this time, public agencies, utilities and other organizations shine light on the importance of conserving energy. From replacing our home’s old lighting to opting for ENERGY STAR appliances, a number of energy-efficient alternatives exist that increase your family’s comfort while saving energy and money.
At ThompsonGas, we’re 100% committed to promoting energy-efficient options today that lead to a cleaner, greener tomorrow. One of the best ways we promote energy efficiency is through our propane services. With National Energy Awareness Month in full swing, there’s never been a better time to learn about and consider switching to propane.
Propane is a nontoxic, colorless, odorless and clean fuel. Neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants. Burning a pound of propane gas releases less than half the amount of carbon dioxide than burning a pound of coal for electricity. Here’s why propane gas service is the better energy choice for your home:
- Propane gas emits less than half the greenhouse gas emissions of electricity. Propane exceeds the requirements for clean fuel regulations.
- Propane appliances are 10-15% more efficient than oil and electric.
- Propane does not cause long-term environmental damage in the form of spills or hazardous disposal.
- If a tank leaks, propane gas does not spill, pool, or leave a residue; this makes it harmless to soil or water.
- Propane furnaces can reach efficiency levels over 95%, while peak efficiency for an oil furnace is 80-85%. They have operating lives of 15-20 years — 10 years longer than electric heat pumps.
- Propane tankless water heaters heat water on demand, saving families 10-20% of their daily water use.
- Propane clothes dryers dry more quickly and with less static created than electric units, saving you time and money and reducing wear and tear on your wardrobe.
- Propane ranges and ovens enable precision and instant temperature control – which is why nearly 95 percent of professional chefs choose to cook with gas.
- Outdoor grills use very little gas to cook and can help keep unwanted heat outside during the warm summer months, which can help save on cooling bills.
- More than 90 percent of the U.S. propane is produced domestically.
To learn more about the energy-efficient savings of propane service, click here or call ThompsonGas today at 800-768-6612.